Friday, July 16, 2010

Minty Pea and Fried Seafood Risotto

Whenever Groben's has skate wing available, I have to buy it - regardless of what my plans were. Yet, that is the beauty of buying fresh. You cannot always plan everything out. Wait, the squid looks great too? Give me some of that!


For the uninitiated, skate wing it quick to go bad, so use it ultra fresh. It has a sweet taste and soft texture like a scallop, and can even be used as as somewhat cheaper alternative in lobster recipes. If you can find it, buy it. Above is the skate wing (ask your monger to remove the cartilage from the center) and cleaned squid, cut into peices (again, ask your monger to clean the squid and remove the beaks). These were simply breaded in a seasoned, homemade breadcrumb, then quickly fried in oil. Do not overcook.

I then made a mint-pea pesto, with frozen peas, fresh mint, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and a few pecans. Whir together.


I cooked the arborio rice, adding most of the liquid as chicken stock. For the last bit of liquid, I added the pesto, then topped with the seafood and some parmesan cheese.


Meet my Minty Pea and Fried Seafood Risotto. You'll want to eat skate everyday of your life. Meat Mt Airy.

No comments:

Post a Comment